- The surname LONDT appears to be quite rare. The original spelling seems in some cases to have been LOND. (In one known instance the "T" was added by the registrar of births in Amsterdam).
- This page was created to provide a forum for sharing information between those with the same surname or those with family links to the name. The common objective will be to extend known lineages and origins as far back as possible. Any person with information to add is encouraged to contact any of the contributors with e-mail links.
- The information will be added to this page with the contributors permission.
- It is hoped that relationships will be found to tie together some of the LOND(T) family lines as the list is expanded.NB: IN SOME CASES, BY REQUEST, THE GENEALOGY LISTINGS INCLUDE ONLY PERSONS DECEASED, OR THOSE BORN BEFORE 1910
Simon Pieter Christoffel Londt
Cape Town 1811-1899
(A Grandson of Cornelis Lond)
ORIGIN OF THE NAME:
- It has been suggested that the name originates from that of a town in what was once East Prussia
but which would now be in Poland. This town has not yet been identified.
- A further possibility is a town named LUND in Sweden, once in Danish territory.
- The most likely origin however is the Danish word LOND (pronounced "Lone") meaning "Grove"
as in a small group of trees.
Any information on this subject would be welcome.
FILE CONTRIBUTOR FAMILY LINE 1 Digby E.R.Londt
CORNELIS LOND(T) of Copenhagen, Denmark.
His descendants in South Africa
2 JOHANN G.LONDT of Calbach, Germany
His descendants in the USA
3 D.E.R.Londt GEORGE LONDT of South Africa 4 D.E.R.Londt THOMAS LONDT of South Africa 5 D.E.R.Londt WILLIAM STEEN LONDT of South Africa 6 D.E.R.Londt GUSTAAFF WILHELM LONDT of Copenhagen in S.A. 7 D.E.R.Londt Miscellaneous. Early LOND(T) References in
South Africa National Archives, Cape Town.
8 Rudi L. Londt
Leo Joseph LONDT of Padang, Sumatra 9 Mrs. Hedy Turpin-Schultz
Den Haag, Netherlands
? (Unknown) LONDT 10 D.E.R.Londt Misc LONDT References
From the ARSIP National Archives, Jakarta, Indonesia.*
13 Lourens Londt, England GEORGE LONDT of SA
Digby & Margaret Londt
BARCLAY, GOLDSMITH, HAYDEN, HART, HOLTON, MOTH, MURRELL, GILBERT
LISTING KEY: The following illustrates the 'extended' 'De Villiers' coding employed :
Gen.1 : Earliest known ancestor a
Gen.2 : Issue of 'a' b1 b2 b3
Gen.3 : Issue of 'b' b1c1 b1c2 b1c3
Gen.4 : Issue of 'c' b1c1d1 b1c1d2
And so on....
Symbols: *=Date/place of birth +=Date/Place of death
x1=Marriage No.1, x2=Marriage No.2
Date convention : d.m.y Maintained by email@example.com